Social and criminal justice practitioners will meet on 1 March 2016 (1) for ‘Build homes not prisons! What’s next for the women of Holloway prison?’ event. The public meeting will discuss the closure of HMP Holloway, the women’s prison in North London, as part of wider reforms to close old prisons and build 9 new institutions. From 1 March, women will no longer be sent to HMP Holloway as part of the rapid emptying and eventual closure of the prison by summer 2016. The prison’s closure will make room for more luxury flats.
Panelists will discuss what the closure of HMP Holloway means for women prisoners and their families, the local community and for the housing crisis in London. The event is organised by the Reclaim Justice Network (2).
The Reclaim Justice Network supports plans for the closure of existing prisons and is demanding that the land is signed over for much needed social housing (3).
Maureen Mansfield from Reclaim Justice Network, UK said:
‘What’s most interesting in the decision to close Holloway is how was it made, who gains what and why now?’
Marjorie Mayo from Kill the Housing Bill Islington said:
‘The housing crisis is turning from a perfect storm to a perfect tsunami. Sites like Holloway urgently need to be developed for genuinely affordable homes not luxury flats’
Notes for editors
(1) The event will be held at The Meeting Place, 2 Langley Lane, Vauxhall, London SW8 1GB, beginning at 19:00, finishing at 21:00.
Panellists will be:
- Maureen Mansfield from Women in Prison, speaking on behalf of Reclaim Justice Network
- Marjorie Mayo from Kill the Housing Bill (Islington)
(2) Reclaim Justice Network is a collaboration of individuals, advocacy groups, practitioners, researchers and people most directly affected by criminal justice systems, who are working together to radically reduce the size and scope of criminal justice systems and to build effective and socially just alternatives. Learn more at downsizingcriminaljustice.wordpress.com
(3) Reclaim Justice Network recently called for an immediate moratorium on prison building and demand land is signed over to local authoring control to be used for social housing in London https://downsizingcriminaljustice.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/reclaim-justice-network-calls-for-moratorium-on-prison-building/